My version isn't 100% accurate of the pattern released since quite a bit of tweaking to the pattern was done after I made this one, but I still like it. The contrast pockets are a fun addition; for them I luckily found the same green as the leafage on the bird fabric. I had also planned to take nicer pictures, but the temperature outside was way too hot to brave it.
Monday, July 27, 2015
Tuesday, July 7, 2015
This first blog that I ever started following was Sewing in No Man's Land. Her oldest daughter is just about the same age as Eleanor so finding her tutorials for the cutest outfits in the size I needed was perfect, plus her photography is just amazing. When I saw that she was looking for pattern testers for her Taking Notes Skirt, I jumped at the opportunity.
I tested both the girls' and women's. The pattern is lovely and so quick and easy. Eleanor's has a curved waistband, ties and is simply gathered. Mine has the straight waistband and box pleats.
The Taking Notes Skirt is available to everyone who signs up for her amazing new project, Sew What Club, which is a monthly subscription to amazing patterns at a great price.
Also, my blouse was made from Ottobre 5/2013 #8 Girly Touch with the sleeves from #12 Peplum Blouse. I really like it and the fit is lovely. The placket was a horror to figure out.
Wednesday, June 24, 2015
A little while back, I was contacted by FramedArt.com to do a review for them, so I got to do a little art shopping (they allowed me to choose one piece under $75 for free). I found their website a bit overwhelming at first with all the options they have, to help with that I really had to think about what it is I want exactly, which was elegant, soothing and with a touch of whimsy. After hours of searching, I narrowed it down to Summer in Bloom
II by Timothy O'Toole, Layered Butterflies I by Sisa Jasper, and Fields in Spring 1884 by Claude Monet. I asked three people's opinions to help me figure it out, but they all picked a different one, no help. Eventually, I settled on the butterflies with a light blue mat and glass. There are lots of framing and matting options to customize for you.
I did have to wait a while for my print to arrive since it got damaged along the way, but the second time around there wasn't even a scratch on the frame. It comes with mounting bar bracket things that are rather awesome. They make it easy to hang the piece level and keep it level (no more constantly adjusting frames that have shifted).
Currently, it is hanging in my dining room, which was quite void of art. Now there is a fun bit of color, that I don't have to fiddle with to keep level. I'm really happy with it.
I've noticed that FramedArt.com frequently have sales and coupons. If you are looking for some art for your home, I suggest you look here. They can also be found on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Google+, Houzz, and Youtube.
Thursday, May 21, 2015
This month for Project Run and Play, everyone is working with Crafty Cupboard's Summer Chevrons Shirt.
For my version, I used knit and left off the elastic waist, because shirts like that tend to get caught on her little belly. Since it was for her and I wanted a few minutes quiet while she rummaged, I let Laurel pick the fabrics. The kitty knit is from an inexpensive 3xl tank top that I got to make something for the girls.
By the time I took these pictures, she had already worn it several times (and at the end of a full day field trip with kindergartners). I probably should have ironed it, but it is a shirt for a child and who has time for that. I also only got these few pictures, though a couple are from the field trip, because the battery on the camera died. It has been a long day.
The changes I made was to curve the neckline and not include the waist elastic or the button closure.
Tuesday, April 21, 2015
Another pattern testing! This time I tested a really quick sew for Love Notions. The Lotus Blossom Blouse looks complicated with the twist in the front, but actually is fairly simple and it comes in a full range of sizes; from little girls' 2T all the way up to ladies XXXL (though girls and ladies are sold separately there is a discount for buying the bundle).
I love that there is also the option to have a lace inset at the back neckline. I would have loved to do that, but I didn't have any stretch lace and I'm not allowed to buy more fabric.
I also made my jeans. They were full length, but my fabric seems to keep shrinking even though I prewashed it, so I just rolled them up into capris. I made them using #9 Lady Fit Jeans from the 5/2012 issue of Ottobre Design. They turned out really well, though I have to keep pulling them up all the time and my zipper gave me issues. I love that I used a floral fabric for the pocket bags and waistband lining for a little bit of fun.
Friday, March 20, 2015
This month, Project Run and Play's challenge is to make something with Sewing Rabbit's Knot Dress. I used it to make the girls' Easter dresses with some sweet rosebud fabrics.
Both girls were made a size 4 bodice and then for the skirt I used both skirt lengths and had a layered look like Sewing Rabbit's Julie's Dress pattern. Laurel's is the size 4 lengths and Eleanor's is size 5.
Eleanor's dress is white lined in the pink fabric and Laurel's is pink lined in the white.
They loved the dresses so much, they insisted on wearing them and their crowns to buy milk after photos. Such silly girls!
The crowns were made using this darling tutorial.
Thursday, March 5, 2015
The pattern includes an under dress and a smocked apron, both are really darling. I used a fun puppy and kitty fabric that I was given. Since I got it, I thought it would be fun to use it on a more traditional style dress.